A new year calls for new adventures, and Marquette County has you covered in any season. Here are 10 reasons to start planning your 2023 visit to Marquette, MI.
1. There's Always More to Explore
Adventure, any way you choose–from exploring the striking blues of Lake Superior to an abundance of breathtaking evergreen hikes, Marquette County, MI is an outdoor lover's paradise.
For the Hikers - Hiker's Guide to Marquette
For the Mountain Bikers - Mountain Biker's Guide to Marquette
For the Kayakers, Surfers or Stand Up Paddle Boarders - How to Get On the Water in Marquette
2. Winters are Celebrated
In Marquette County, we don't hibernate. We celebrate. Here are some of our favorite ways you can embrace winter our way:
- Attend one of our many annual classics like The Upper Michigan Ice Races, Ishpeming Ski Jumping Tournament, Heikki Lunta, or UP200 Sled Dog Races.
- Explore with a pair of snowshoes, cross-country skis, or by fat tire bike.
- Warm up with hot cocoa in the ski lodge or with a cold brew in an igloo.
- Pop into one of our many local downtown shops or restaurants.
3. You Can Visit Many Waterfalls in Any Season
From easily-accessible falls to ones with more advanced routes, waterfalls are one of our favorite four-season things to do. Chase them in the spring when they’re roaring from mounds of melting snow. Visit them in summer when the views are vibrant & bright. Capture them in autumn among the captivating fall foliage. Or trek out in winter when they’re covered in stunning snow & ice formations.
4. Fall Color in U.P. is among the best in the US
Voted #1 Best Destination for Fall Foliage in 2022 for USA Today 10Best, it's no secret that the Upper Peninsula puts on a breathtaking show during the autumn peak season. But don't just take everyone else's word for it—come see the glorious fall colors for yourself.
5. Lake Superior.
Located on the southern shores of Lake Superior, Marquette County boasts 80+ miles of accessible shoreline. Whether you paddle out for a quick excursion, soak up some rays on a secluded beach, or go for a leisurely lakeshore stroll, being near the Big Lake is good for the soul.
6. There are Awesome Festivals & Events Year-round
Make your visit to Marquette more eventful by attending one of our many amazing annual events. Here are some of our top seasonal picks:
Winter: Annual Ishpeming Ski Jumping Tournament, Noquemanon Ski Marathon, Meijer Winter State Games, UP200
Spring: Angry Bear
Summer: Marquette Art Week, Marquette Trails Fest, Ore to Shore, Blues Fest
Fall: U.P. Fall Beer Fest, Marquette Fall Enduro, Fresh Coast Film Festival
7. Home to Incredible Handcrafted Brews & Roasts
From a vast selection of local craft beer & kombucha to caffeinated concoctions, when it comes to beverages Marquette's got options.
For the Beer Lovers - Drink Like a Local
For the Coffee Connoisseurs - Must-stop Coffee Shops in Marquette County
8. Marquette Restaurants Keep it Fresh, Local & Delicious
Between adventures, fuel up with food that's as fresh as it is delicious at one of our many local restaurants. For more in-depth info, check out our guide to some of our Foodie Faves for Any Time of Day.
9. There's Plenty of Stuff for the History Buff
10. Discover Marquette's Burgeoning Art Scene
Explore Marquette's flourishing art scene by visiting local exhibits, galleries, and museums, attending one of our many art-centric events, or checking out as many murals as you can around the county.